Artificial grass, or synthetic grass, can be put on any surface and can look like natural grass.
The grass is produced by using synthetic material. This material is stronger than the blades of natural grass and is therefore very popularly used on playing surfaces that need grass, which is difficult to maintain, because of the activity that can damage natural grass.
Synthetic grass responds to playing and walking running on it in the same way that natural grass does. It is a grass that is firmer and this leads to reducing the chances of injuries. Synthetic grass has been combined with rubber and sand to give it a more natural look, and this adds to security when it is used for sports activities.
It has also become quite common to use synthetic lawns in homes and landscapes, as it requires no attention for mowing, de-weeding or any other backbreaking jobs that the upkeep of natural grass calls for.
This grass is not affected by winter or any other weather conditions and is now widely available in most home garden stores. Artificial turf, as it is more widely known, can serve as a lawn in almost any situation, and it is also in use in the insides of homes, yards, and large inside spaces, where a need is felt for creating the environment of gardens.
One does not have to bother with the grass growing or not growing, or that the weather is not amenable to a lawn. There is also a saving on the use of water as these lawns, do not require watering. Water may be used to clean the lawn of dirt occasionally, and in many sports situation, the high movement does cause the temperature of the grass to rise, and this may require cooling with water.
Synthetic grass also has a porous surface and hence there is no erosion or runoff that may result from natural lawn surfaces.
Synthetic grass can be more expensive initially than using natural grass. But the long-term savings come from the need for less maintenance and water. Water for lawns can often make for a substantial portion of water bills, and these savings, in the long run, make up for the higher initial cost. You never have to bother about fertilizer, pesticides or even lawn mowers.
There is never any need to add mulch or to aerate the grass, both processes that can be quite demanding and are hard work.
Synthetic grass can be used in all kinds of areas, right from a small patch in the front or back garden, or even on terraces. Using it can stop pets from digging up lawns. These patches of a lawn will never have bald patches.
The environment will benefit because no use is made of water, chemicals or fertilizers. It has been found to be an ideal choice for sports like field hockey and bowling greens and has even been used on golf courses.
It can be ideally used to create an easy to maintain landscape around a swimming pool.
Only a decade ago the idea of putting ‘artificial turf’ in your backyard was almost silly. You pictured football field style crunch green carpet, which stunk when it got wet and bubbled up all the time. Today, fake grass is all the rage and I love it.
Here is a brief list of why artificial grass is something to definitely consider:
1. It’s not as costly to get the ‘good stuff’ as it once was.
2. Artificial grass today actually looks like real grass, only better. Every blade is perfect.
3. There’s no messy smell. The synthetic products out there have breathable pores, allowing water to flow and drain. No piles of standing water.
4. You can give away your lawn mower. Save the environment by saving gasoline, fumes and noise pollution.
5. Zero maintenance. Your new lawn never needs work! No more seeding, raking, cutting, weeding and trimming.
6. Your dogs and kids will love it. After a hard day at play, they will be mud free, saving you time and effort!
7. Cut down on scorpions. Watered lawns attract insects. Mosquitoes love standing, pounding water. So do crickets. If you install fake grass the crickets won’t enjoy hanging out there. No crickets means less scorpions, as crickets are a delicacy for those scary little critters. We all love less scorpions!
8. Your town might give you money to rip out your old grass. Many municipalities offer water conservation rebates when you pull out water-hungry real grass and add artificial turf. Check with your area for full details. It could save you hundreds!
9. Cut back on your water bill. No more constant watering and lawn water run off.
10. It looks great. You’ll have maintenance-free, mud-free, gorgeous green grass every single day and the new products out there last 10, 15 or even 20+ years without fading.
Conserve water, make your yard beautiful and have more time to enjoy the outdoors by installing artificial grass!